Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Invictus


Okay, this photo is like 8 years old. But it is still relevant. Besides, I don't even know if I could still do that so I'll post it. Then you will think, "Wow if he could do that when he was 14 I bet he is so good now!" And I will let you think that. Anyways, it is also relevant to my blog because I am going to tell you about today.
I am lucky enough to have a friend whose dad is on Ski Patrol. This is important because it means he gets free vouchers to Sundance. This is good because I wouldn't pay to go to Sundance.
We stopped at Wills Pit Stop and I got a huge soda and then we headed up the canyon. The roads were super wet and slushy and I remember feeling a little sketched out about how fast my friend was driving. I should have listened to that feeling. Anyways, we round a corner and start sliding. We were going around 55 miles an hour and I knew we were going to crash. There was four of us in the car and after what seemed like a forever long slide and a slurr of profanities, we hit into the side rail. Hard. My giant fountain drink flew everywhere as the four of us bounced around the car as it spun hitting the side repeatedly.
When it was all over we were facing the wrong way and his bumper was 20 yards down the row on the other side of the road. We collected ourselves, took a couple advil and waited for highway patrol . I was extremely impressed by the optimism of the whole group. There was an "ehhh, its just a totaled car" vibe going on.
After the highway patrol came and we got done filling out all of the forms, we had a decision to make. We could call someone to rescue us and take us up the rest of the way up and in turn losing valuable shred time, or, we could throw the bumper in the car and finish the job ourselves. We were going snowboarding, that was not the issue. We were a group of men, and one lady, we decided to just keep right on going.
The car topped out at 10 miles an hour. There was obviously some seriouse damage to the engine. There was a line of 8 cars behind us when we got to the single lane part of the ride, but we didn't let there negative energy touch us.
Bottom line is we got up there to a good 6 inches of fresh snow, and we had an amazing time. Life handed us a lemon, we didn't make lemonade, but we did ride that lemon right up Provo Canyon and then left it up there to be towed away some time in the future. My fingers are tired.

1 comment:

Gentri said...

Next time (always)... wear a seatbelt. Ok? haha! I'm glad everything ended up ok. :)